The Long-Tail Cast-On is a great all-around cast-on.
Use it to begin every project, unless the directions or your further cast-on knowledge specify otherwise.
- Start with a long tail
- Make a slipknot in your yarn and put it on the needle. This is the first stitch.
- Position the yarn in your left hand. One strand goes over your finger, the other over the thumb.
To Cast On
- Catch the strand of yarn on your thumb.
- Catch the strand of yarn on your index finger.
- Pull that loop through the one on your thumb.
- Let go of your thumb yarn and get back in position.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 until you have cast on as many stitches as you want.
The Finished LTCO – Long-Tail Cast-On
Tip: Put either strand of yarn over your thumb. For this cast-on, It doesn’t matter which finger has the tail yarn and which one has the working yarn. Either way is fine.