Pattern Overview and Check-In
We're almost ready to cast on! Here's a quick checklist to make sure you're ready to continue:
To be ready to cast on for your two-at-a-time toe-up socks, you'll need to have...
- Chosen your pattern type: basic Fleegle heel or toe-up heel-flap.
- Chosen the weight of yarn you'd like to use, and ordered it in the yardage called for in your pattern.
- Procured one set of long circular needles, 47 inches or longer.
- Knit a test swatch in the round on Magic Loop using your chosen yarn and needles, and
- Checked the gauge on your swatch to confirm that it is the gauge required in the pattern.
- Measured around the ball of your foot and chosen the size of pattern that corresponds with your foot, and circled the numbers in your pattern corresponding to that size.
If you have done all these things, congratulations! If you need more time or have questions or need help on any of this, please post a comment on today's lesson and let me know.
To get an idea of how we will be constructing the basic Fleegle heel sock, click here for our Pattern Walk-Through video.
If you will be doing our toe-up heel-flap sock, the process is almost exactly the same, but you'll start increasing for your heel a little sooner, according to the directions in your pattern.
Some frequently asked questions so far:
Q: Do I measure around the ball of my foot while standing on it?
A: No. Measure around your foot with no pressure on it.
Q: I'm an in-between size (say 8.5 inches) - what size pattern should I choose?
A: Choose the smaller of the two options. 8.5 inches would be a Medium.