Surfer’s Delight Easy Basic Brioche Hat
Published December 11, 2018
Last Updated: June 15, 2019 - Current Version: 3.1
Update notes: Fixed decreases.
This basic Brioche hat is great for learning two-color brioche in the round. It features a no-roll brim that uses the Chinese Waitress Cast-On. The hat is reversible with perfect overlapping decreases at the crown.
- Sizes: One size
- Finished Measurements: Finished size: 8 in. deep, 18 1/2 in. around unstretched. Stretches to fit a head up to 23 in. around.
- Yarn: 55 yds. (50 m) aran- or worsted-weight yarn in two colors DC (dark color) and LC (light color).
- Recommended Yarn: 55 yds. (50 m) Malabrigo Twist
- Needles: 2 pairs circular needles, 40-47 inches
- Needle size: US size 7 (4.5 mm) and 5 (3.75 mm)
- Notions: Measuring tape, tapestry needle, scissors
AbbreviationsBr-ssk – Brioche slip, slip, knit: Slip 1 st knitwise, slip next st knitwise. One of these sts will have a wrap. Slip the stitch along with its wrap. Knit slipped sts together.
Brk – Brioche knit: Knit the stitch together with its wrap
Brp – Brioche purl: Purl the stitch together with its wrap
Sl 1 – Slip 1
Sl1 wyib – Slip one with yarn in back
Sts – Stitches
Work in Brioche stitch – On DC rounds, when you come to a DC stitch with a wrap, br-p (see above). When you come to a LC stitch without a wrap, yfsl1yo (see below). On LC rounds, when you come to a LC stitch with a wrap, br-k (see above). When you come to a DC stitch without a wrap, yfsl1yo.
Wyib – With yarn in back
Wyif – With yarn in front
Yfsl1yo – Yarn forward, slip 1, yarnover: Move yarn to front, slip next st, bring yarn over needle to back, making a yarnover. The yarnover will pass over the slipped stitch and sit next to it like a cape.
Shown: Blue and Green Hat: Malabrigo Twist in Lettuce (37) (DC) and Teal Feather (412) (DC); Red and Blue Hat: Malabrigo Twist in Stonechat (173) (LC) and Azul Profundo (150) (DC).